November 27, 2015

Emma Watson covers PORTER magazine (Winter 2015)



Emma was "interviewed by Oscar-nominated documentary maker @lucywalkerfilm. In the issue, the actress leads #PORTER’s first 100 Incredible Women list – a unique tribute to women around the world. See who else inspired us this year when the issue hits newsstands Friday, December 4."

HQ:

Porter-1 Porter-10 Porter-11 Porter-12 Porter-14 Porter-15 Porter-2 Porter-3 Porter-4 Porter-5 Porter-6 Porter-8

Outtake:

cassbird

While we may have all been entirely enamoured by the steely grit and determination of Hermione Grainger, none of us were prepared for the woman behind the wand to step out and overtake the young wizard in the race for our affections quite so spectacularly. But then, Emma Watson is no stranger to exceeding expectations.

Speaking openly to Porter magazine, Watson reveals why she is only just - at 25 years old - feeling comfortable in her own skin.

"Now at 25 for the first time in my life I feel like I have a sense of self that I’m comfortable with. I actually do have things that I want to say and I want to be my most authentic self."

"I don’t want there to be a big separation between the public and the private person. It’s definitely the harder road to tread, but without a doubt, ultimately the most rewarding."

"It sounds like a ridiculous thing to say, but I’m very interested in truth, in finding ways to be messy and unsure and flawed and incredible and great and my fullest self, all wrapped into one. When you watch the work of someone like actress Emma Thompson, you feel like you’re seeing something true, and I aspire to that."

Admitting that her new-found self-acceptance has a lot to do with a recent style revelation, Watson revealed that her main priority is how clothes make her feel as opposed to how she looks.

"When I was younger I remember being told ‘no pain no gain’, but recently my willingness to wear something that makes me freezing cold or that I can’t walk in has changed."

"I want to feel fabulous and comfortable and sexy and strong and beautiful. And if it’s making you uncomfortable, don’t do it. It’s so sad if you need to go home just because you need to sit down! Moving forward, I’m prioritizing just feeling awesome."

And with the world still revelling in her HeForShe speech one year on, the UN Women Goodwill Ambassador must be feeling exactly that.

But despite its international success, Watson revealed that she went against advice when writing the speech.

“I was encouraged not to use the word ‘feminism’ because people felt that it was alienating and separating and the whole idea of the speech was to include as many people as possible."

"But I thought long and hard and ultimately felt that it was just the right thing to do. If women are terrified to use the word, how on earth are men supposed to start using it?"

The star went on to reveal the important link between her campaign for women and her love of fashion.

"I think using fashion as a means of expression is brilliant."

"One of the ways I became a UN Women Goodwill Ambassador was through my interest in fair-trade fashion. Because so many women design and make the clothes we wear, it’s primarily the working conditions of women that are affected by the decisions we make, so fashion is a feminist issue."
standard


On moving to the U.S. to study at Brown…
“I’m so glad I did, it was the best thing I could have done, putting myself in that furnace. It gave me this place of refuge, this space I could negotiate for myself, and time to figure out who I was. I’d spent more than half of my life pretending to be someone else. While my contemporaries were dying their hair and figuring out who they were, I was figuring out who Hermione was and how best to portray her. I learned so many important lessons.”

On her advice for young women…
“Sit with the discomfort. Don’t run away from it. Lean into it, take your time with it. So many people jump into things just because they can’t stand the discomfort of not knowing.”

15 comments:

Thaïs said...

At first I read "Potter magazine" and I thought like "NO ONE TOLD ME" and then I learned how to read haha

Love this pic !

Thaïs said...

It feels like the "real Emma" for once

Anonymous said...

Great natural photos. I think she is much more beautiful without so much makeup. Her freckles are a one of a kind. Can anyone give a brief synopsis of the article.
Thank-you helga

Anonymous said...

Can we get these photos in hd from some website?

Thaïs said...

Oh my God...
Third update, third comment : PERFECT photoshoot !

Anonymous said...

I am using this space to ask a question. I have read on the internet that Emma was to be in a Bollywood film with Khan as director. the title was Mid Dey, about an Indian journalist who was murdered. According to the article, Emma was to play a British journalist.

Eden said...

That was fake. They used Emma's name to bring attention to the movie. Emma has never truly been linked to it.

Anonymous said...

Are you gonna transcribe it soon?

Anonymous said...

What was that on the cover "& love without rules" about?

Anonymous said...

This young woman has matured in a wonderful way and being intelligent, she understands the pitfalls of pretending to be characters and how that can jeopardize the real, true person one is. I think playing Hermoine was not the worst character to understand and become, just think if one had to play Denis the Menace for 10 years. I feel that the biggest problem to emotionally and personality wise to find oneself is most difficult for Rupert. Ron was the kinda dumm one of the trio. Starting with Phoenix they tried to smarten him up a bit where Hermoine surprised acknowledges his brilliant decision. He would answer something like yea that has been known to happen. Dan was the boy wizard, the chosen one and he acts chosen today and it has paid out for him. ron still has to find himself. From judging the way he dresses with his floppy hair, he is still rummaging through adolescence. But I believe he will catch the train on the right rail in the long run.
The admission of how she feels and what she wants to present to the public was honest and makes her all more loveable. It is alright to have weaknesses and be flawed- welcome to the human race. But with Emma I always she was searching for a deep truth in herself and what she wants in her life. Go for your dreams Emma!

Anonymous said...

A beautiful profile (picture) of elegance and class.

Anonymous said...

A great shoot and images. I read every word she says and so glad to know her views as it stands now at 25. She's a quarter of a century old! I like the real Emma in this interview. Love the pics! Eden,how do you know she's back in England since 2nd Dec?

Anonymous said...

I agree, concluding from the interview, Emma knows what kind of person she wants to be as an actress. Her intelligence and style shines forth. Other younger actresses like her such as Anne Hathaway and others, but she comes to mind. They are no witless sex symbol but they are a woman and portray the most beautiful aspects of being a woman.

Anonymous said...

Emma, no one has to find a way to be messy to find truth. We are messy and make a mess of things, but we are also virtuous and strive to becoem better aware of the truths within and around us.
Helga

Indo pusat said...

This is a very nice article and dancing to read. Congratulations of the article I was very pleased . Hopefully you can make make the article more :)

thank you