February 03, 2016

Emma Watson announces second book for 'Our Shared Shelf'



Just an FYI - the books I am suggesting I haven't read myself. I am learning and reading for the first time with you. I am trying to choose works that cover as much ground as possible and are diverse... I've heard amazing things about this book from a person that I trust... The musical is currently on Broadway (starring Cynthia Erivo, Jennifer Hudson and Danielle Brooks) and a film was made of the book in 1985 by Steven Spielberg. It was Oprah Winfrey’s film debut and introduced Whoopi Goldberg (I love both of these women). I’m excited to read it and maybe do some watching too.

Love,
E xx

You can buy it on Amazon

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have seen the movie and watched the book. Was pretty good and a story told entirely from a black person's point of view.

DG said...

What's it about?

Anonymous said...

Emma's thread on Goodreads:

The Color Purple is a 1982 epistolary novel by American author Alice Walker which won the 1983 Pulitzer Prize for Fiction and the National Book Award for Fiction. It was later adapted into a film and musical of the same name.

Taking place mostly in rural Georgia, the story focuses on the life of women of color in the southern United States in the 1930s, addressing numerous issues including their exceedingly low position in American social culture. The novel has been the frequent target of censors and appears on the American Library Association list of the 100 Most Frequently Challenged Books of 2000-2009 at number seventeen because of the sometimes explicit content, particularly in terms of violence.

Anonymous said...

Color Purple is a harsh book about a mistreated black woman, but she finds her way. Another good book is Mark Twain's Joan of Arc. Yes Twain wrote a serious piece on St. Joan of Arc, and he treats her very respectfully. This woman moved the world at a time when women were seen but not heard. A good read. I think this book comes from Ignatius Press.

GoldenGemster said...

It's a good story and made a brilliant film with Oprah Winfrey in it but I don't particularly want to read the book again.